As what we often hear from some madly in-love people, “age doesn’t matter”. This statement puts into light that age is considered to be a non-existing factor in a relationship. And those who are caught into its web take on the challenge of making the relationship work despite being maliciously judged by the public.
Honestly, there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s only a matter of being in-love and being loved back. It’s not a sin to fall for someone older or younger than you are. Well, for some, it may be prejudicial. But not to those who fully understand what they’re into. And it is at this tenet that what we call a “May – December” relationship becomes a mystery.
Why call it “May – December” relationship?
In Philippines, flowers bloom every month of May. How about December? Well it’s the last month of the year. And yes, May is for a lady and December refers to a man. It’s like watching a blooming flower with sunset on its back draft. That’s right. Therefore, we have here a young lady and an older guy. Most of the time, that’s how it is being understood. Of course, it can still go the other way around.
Now, have you ever wondered what triggers a “May – December” relationship? What “forces of nature” bring about this kind of relationship? Let’s see what we can come up with it.
1. Experience. Since he has been and has passed through a young lady’s age, he somehow know what she needs or wants. The guy may have been into some relationships during his younger days. That gives him already tons of idea in dealing with younger ladies.
2. Financial Stability. Presumably, a guy at his early or late 30s is already financially stable. If he has that fortune, showering the younger gal with gifts, chocolates and flowers, not to mention taking her to expensive restaurants and dates, should not be a problem. Plus wheels! Everyone wants to go for a ride. Right? Don’t be offended ladies, a man doing those things during courtship stage is as natural as the sun setting down at dusk.
3. Father Figure (?). This is the lopsided part of May – December relationship. Sometimes it’s hard to qualify whether it’s really love that comes around or something else. Like this “father figure” thing. But then, take it as a bonus ladies. You got yourself a partner and someone who knows how to take of you.
4. Patience. Do you think older guys are more patient than the younger ones? Maybe yes. Maybe not. Well I’m sure you know how the youngsters in a relationship pickup their fights. Petty things blow up into proportion, eventually leading to breakups. And just what we’ve mentioned a while ago, older guys somehow know where to stand whenever there’s an issue at hand.
5. Troubleshooter. When a younger girl gets into trouble, the guy may easily be able to find ways in fixing things. Thanks to his connections that he has established. As the guy talks with the girl about it, admiration for the guy begins running over her cup. And guy trying to explain things may result to the point of being romantic.
6. Adventure. Let’s not put things totally on older guys’ shoulders. They can’t be on the spotlight alone. Younger ladies also got some part to play in establishing a May – December relationship. Don’t get me wrong. But sometimes, having an older guy as boyfriend sounds exciting to them. It’s like going up against the odds. At some point, she’s convinced that she can make it work. That’s the best and the sweetest part of it . And that’s the part that makes the relationship more intriguing.
No. That’s not everything about May – December relationship. What we have here is just one side of the coin. Not everything comes to a happy ending. And this kind of relationship does not enjoy some sort of firewall from being imperfect. If that’s the case, what then destroys a May – December relationship?
We’ll dwell on that next.